The goal of this preschool is to provide children with a positive early learning experience. The school has a flexible, stimulating environment in which each child may freely experience a wide range of physical, social, and intellectual activities.
As a cooperative preschool, parents have the opportunity to be directly involved in the education of their children, and to get instruction in the skills of parenthood. Lakeside is affiliated with Whatcom Community College Parent Education Program offering an educational experience for both parents and children. Our affiliation with WCC provides a parent education facilitator, Darcie Donegan, training and support systems for our teachers and board, access to classroom resource materials, and student status for enrolled parents that includes student rates at the child development center, Whatcom and Western library use, counseling services, and participating student discounts.
Lakeside Cooperative Preschool is an inclusive program working with the Bellingham School District to integrate a limited number of children with developmental delays into our classes.
At Lakeside Cooperative Preschool, you can expect your child to:
- Develop a good self image.
- Experience and trust adults other than their parents.
- Increase independence, feelings of competence, social skills, and problem solving abilities.
- Learn to care and cooperate with other children.
- Express themselves through materials, movement, and language.
- Increase a sense of curiosity through a variety of hands-on experiences.
- Develop an awareness of their world.
At Lakeside Cooperative Preschool, you can expect to:
- Develop realistic expectations of children at various stages of growth and development.
- Gather resources from teachers and parents to create a stimulating environment for children to develop their physical, cognitive, and social skills.
- Develop a support system for yourself, your child, and your family.
- Work creatively and cooperatively on the operation of the preschool.